The gates Cambridge University is a fully funded scholarship awarded to exceptional international students in the United kingdom to pursue a full time post graduate degree in any course of their choice at the University of Cambridge.
The major aim of the gates Cambridge university scholarship is to build and develop a global network for students who aspire to become future leaders and also to improve lives.
About the gates Cambridge university scholarship
The gates Cambridge university scholarship program was initiated in October 2000 by the Bill and Matilda gates foundation to the university of Cambridge. This donation was recorded as the largest ever single donation to a university in the United kingdom.
Every year, the gates Cambridge University scholarship awards fully funded scholarships to international students from all over the world the opportunity to learn at the prestigious university of Cambridge. This scholarship has been recorded as one of the most prestigious international scholarship in the world.
This scholarship program is geared towards screening and selecting students around the world and providing them with financial and non financial academic needs to help them study and become the best in their respective fields of study and professions.
250 scholars residence have been provided at Cambridge to occupy students. These campuses are condusive for learning and the scholarship covers all cost of living. 80 scholars from different parts of the world are awarded the scholarship every year. £113 million is spent annually by the Bill and Matilda gates foundation for funding scholars.
Over the past few years, 2,004 scholars have been awarded the gates Cambridge university scholarship and have been certified and awarded their respective degrees
Application process for the gates Cambridge university scholarship
For all intending scholars willing to apply for this program, the application process is very important and this application is carried out in two stages and would be submitted at the gates Cambridge university scholarship application portal.
1. The admission section
This application is a direct application into Cambridge university. Intending scholars must apply directly into the university of Cambridge before applying for the gates Cambridge university scholarship. During this application process, intending scholars would be required to provide some necessary information/documents. These information/documents includes
- General background information.
- Official transcripts from previous schools and institutions.
- Sustainability plans (written essay required)
- Proposed course: students would be required to state the reasons for their chosen courses and future impact on the world after graduating.
2. The funding section
After the direct application for the university of Cambridge, intending scholars are required to proceed to apply directly for the gates Cambridge university scholarship. During this application process, scholars will be asked to provide the following documents which includes
- A written essay with less than 3,000 words stating why you are applying and why should be selected and awarded the gates Cambridge university scholarship.
- Intending scholars must provide their background information.
- Previous achievement in their various fields of study and impact on social and community growth.
- Updated curriculum vitae (CV) properly displaying experience in various fields of study.
- Future plans for development after being awarded the scholarship.
- Research proposals: (applicable to PhD students only)
- Gates Cambridge reference: Intending scholars must provide a reference letter from a professor and supervisor.
Please note that this scholarship is a post graduate scholarship and it is meant strictly for students willing to bag either a masters or doctoral degree.
Selection process for the gates Cambridge university scholarship
For candidates to be considered for the gates Cambridge university scholarship, they must have completed both application process for the Cambridge university and the gates Cambridge university scholarship. The gates Cambridge university scholarship committee would further access the applications submitted via the portal review and screen the applications following the due processes and select the outstanding students.
Selection and scoring of students would be carried out and after scrutiny of the application submitted. Strength of essays and validation of points provided would be the selection criteria.
Timeline for the gates Cambridge university scholarship
The gates Cambridge university scholarship has a specific timeline depending on the degree a scholar is pursuing. Timeline for a student pursuing a masters degree would vary for that of a student pursuing a doctoral degree.
The timeline for students pursuing a masters degree is 24 months which is equivalent to 2 years.
The timeline for students pursuing a doctoral degree is 36 months which is equivalent to 3 years.
Eligibility criteria for the gates Cambridge university scholarship
Being one of the most prestigious and most sorted international scholarship in the world, the gates Cambridge university has it’s eligibility criteria. Only students who meet with these eligibility criteria would be offered this Scholarship. These eligibility criteria includes
- Am outstanding and excellent academic background.
- A valid intention for the students choice of course.
- Impact on community growth and humanity.
- Leadership skills and knowledge/experience on diversity.
- A written and updated project work carried out by scholar (this is only applicable for students pursuing a doctoral degree)
Benefits of the gates Cambridge university scholarship
As a highly rated scholarship of the world, students who are awarded with the gates Cambridge university scholarship have the following to benefit
- Fully paid tuition fees
- Monthly stipend of £17, 848 annually.
- Airfare/ travel insurance
- Visa/immigration costs
- Family allowance of £10,120
- Field works costs.
- Hardship funding: This is provided for students in case of unforseen circumstances.
Terms and conditions for the gates Cambridge university scholarship
There are some rules, regulations, guidelines, terms and conditions that governs this scholarship program. These terms and conditions includes
- Intending scholars MUST be qualified adult citizens of their home countries.
- Scholars must possess a bachelor’s degree for those who are applying for a masters degree.
- Scholars applying for a doctoral degree must possess both a bachelor’s degree and a masters degree.
- Must be willing to be admitted as a full time student.
- Scholars must only apply for their studies in the university of Cambridge and any of it’s colleges.
Intending scholars are being called upon for application now. For more information please visit www.gatescambridge.org